Founded by Prince Ezeabata Chibuzor in 2019 in University of Abuja is an initiative that brings writers, upcoming writers, poets and young Nigerians who are keen and eager to grow their creative skills and develop their interests in Creative writing. It aims at building a generation of young people who shall be relevant, and innovative for the future. ACW is a world were excellence and success is celebrated.

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

ACW-UA PRESS : 3 Things you should do when someone criticizes you.


3 Things You Should Do When Someone Criticizes You
woman.ng

Written by Aby

I don’t think there is anyone that really enjoys being criticized…correct me if i’m wrong though. Even if we don’t like it, we have to accept it because it contributes to our growth process.
There’s definitely nobody that likes the quality of their work being questioned or their decisions challenged, but the thing is, the way you handle criticism is what determines your quality, as a person and in your craft. The willingness to accept and take corrections.

I personally don’t take criticism very well at first…I get defensive initially before I start to see reason in what you’re saying. I was talking to a friend of mine recently and he told me he is scared to criticize me sometimes because of how I react *sigh*. If you criticize me, I will gruel you with questions…but hey, I have to at least defend
myself don’t I?
I like constructive criticism, don’t come condemning something about me and then not offering any reasonable advise. I don’t take such people seriously and honestly, they really piss me off.

So how do you handle criticism? Miss Purpleheart says:

LISTEN & UNDERSTAND
I don’t know about you, but the first thought that comes to my head when someone has something negative to say about me is “what is this one saying?”…Its bad I know, but I’m working on it.

You have to listen, not just listen, but understand where the person is coming from, put down you defensive cape for a minute and try reasoning with the person, ask questions if necessary. Being able to listen to and accept constructive criticism is a sign of maturity.

CONSIDER THE SOURCE
The more successful you become in life the more you become a target for criticism, or rather jealousy and envy disguised as criticism, so you have to take the person criticizing you into consideration. Instincts and intuition play a very huge part here. Criticism coming from co-workers or people you may be in competition with should be handled
carefully. Understanding where the criticism is coming from will help you know how best to handle it.


THINK UP WAYS TO IMPROVE
Instead of getting offended and being defensive, consider it and think about what it is you have possibly been doing wrong, think of ways to improve, if possible, do your research or get a second opinion.
Basically what I’m trying to say is…take action!

IN A NUTSHELL…
DO’s
Do listen objectively
Do ask for specifics
Do get a second opinion and do your own research
Do apologize, take ownership and responsibility
Do show that you are taking feedback into consideration
Do take corrective action
Do learn from it

DON’Ts
Don’t ignore the criticism
Don’t get defensive, angry or rude
Don’t waste time making excuses
Don’t react in haste before considering the best plan of action
Don’t blame others
Don’t engage in a cover-up
Don’t dwell on the error
Source – uk.askmen.com

Share with me, how have you handled criticism in the past? Are you bad at taking it like I am? Let me know in the comment section, let’s rub minds.

==============================================
Writer – Aby blogs at Miss Purpleheart, where she shares all the things that interests her about life, fashion, style and everything else in between.

Facebook – Facebook.com/misspurpleheart

Twitter – @Aby_PurpleHeart

Follow me on Instagram @sholaokubote

Read original


Post a Comment

0 Comments